January 28, 2012

Are fashion interns the new assistants?

I started my first week as a fashion intern this week. I'm actually working two internships, two days a week each. For the many fashion interns in NYC who can totally relate to my experience (e.g. the girls over at The Eternal Intern), it's exactly how I imagined it to be.

Articles about internships being the new entry-level jobs have surfaced CNN and the Huffington for more than a year now; and I'm experiencing this reality for myself as I'm preparing to graduate in May. It's very apt that my internship closely resembles Andy's junior assistantship in  The Devil Wears Prada a great deal (one of my most two favorite movies of all time besides Mean Girls). Of course, my supervisors and co-workers are way nicer than Miranda and Emily.

With all the hard work, the thing that comforts me is the fact that my contribution is needed and appreciated. Without interns, work in these places would pile up and they won't be able to run properly. Also, there's the hope that sticking it out now will help get me places.
To end on a light note, here's a humorous bonus chart to illustrate life as a fashion intern.

Life as a fashion intern

No comments:

Post a Comment